I experienced problems with Internet service throughout the month of June, and it took almost the entire month to have them corrected. It became an ordeal just to post reviews, comments and/or blog hop. Thankfully (as of yesterday) the service is back to normal. As a result, I'm behind posting reviews for quite a few of the books I read this past month. The positive side? I read... a lot!
On to my June reads! You can find a complete list of titles read here.
Total books read in June: 21
My favorite reads this month? Two new releases and three oldies but goodies.
- Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels series, Book 4) by Ilona Andrews: A
- Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories by Sandra McDonald (upcoming review)
- Years by Lavyrle Spencer: A
- Morning Glory by Lavyrle Spencer: A
- Henry and Jim by J.M. Snyder: A
The biggest surprise?
- Vintage: A Ghost Story by Steve Berman - I'm not usually a fan of horror and YA is not a genre I read as a rule, so it was a big surprise when I found myself enjoying both the ghost story, and the way the young adult characters were portrayed. I loved the way this book was written. The atmosphere and story stayed with me for quite a while.
The biggest disappointment?
- Jourdan Lane's Soul Mate Series (Upcoming Review) - This is a paranormal M/M series I've been hearing about for a while and was looking forward to reading.
Mid-year Recap (See complete list here)
Total books read January through June: 91
Total new books read: 81
Total re-reads: 10
Favorite new release to date:
- Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels Series, Book 4) by Ilona Andrews - Ahhh, Kate Daniels! How awesome was this book! I just loved it and my squeeing was heard far and wide, but hey... it was deserved. Magic Bleeds is an outstanding addition to the Kate Daniels series and I can't wait for the next book.
Favorite book from backlists/or previous years' releases to date:
- Courting Miss Hattie by Pamela Morsi - I've fallen in love with Morsi's writing. Courting Miss Hattie was just a joy to read. With a plain Jane strong heroine, a hero I fell in love with, a friends-to-lovers theme and some amazing writing, this book was an easy choice as a top pick for me.
Favorite LGBT read to date:
- Fool for Love: New Gay Fiction edited by Timothy J. Lambert and R.D. Cochrane - Romance? We love romance? This LGBT anthology is just chuck-full of all types of romance. I read and re-read this book for over three months, that's how much I enjoyed it. That alone took it to the top of my LGBT list.
Challenge Update: (Click on title to see progress)
- 2010 Year of the Historical Challenge - 100% met. All monthly reviews posted.
- 2010 Re-Read Challenge - 100% met. All monthly reviews posted.
- 2010 M/M Romance Challenge - Read 17 out of 20+ books for the year and reviewed 11. I'm a bit behind on my reviews, but hope to catch up soon. :)
- In-Death Challenge - Read and reviewed 4 out of 6 books so far. Failed to read or review the past two months. :( I'll be catching up soon (hopefully this month).
- Orannia's Big Book Challenge - 0% met! I haven't opened up my book yet! I still have 6 months to do so. That doorstopper is just sitting there gathering dust... hmm...
That's it for the first six months of the year... phewww! How about you? Which book rates as your top pick so far?